Tuesday 18 February 2014

Crochet By Megs Book Club: The Painted Girls

Hello again!
I hope you got a chance to pick up The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan.



I loved this book! I found the story enchanting especially against the backdrop of 1800s Paris. But I'm getting ahead of myself!
The Painted Girls tells the story of three young sisters in 1800s Paris, their father is dead and their mother is an alcoholic addicted to absinth. Living in abject poverty the girls must struggle to survive and look after one another in a vast and unforgiving city.
The jobs for women are difficult and don't bring in much money. The only way the girls feel they can lift themselves out of their horrible situation is to become ballerinas. 
This story is told few the viewpoints of Antoinette and Marie the two older siblings trying desperately to take care of each other and their younger sister. Both take on far more responsibility than any young girl should and facing the hardships of their situation with all they have.
This book was beautifully told, the story telling wonderfully done. I was so impressed with how well the relationship between sisters was expressed. Every woman with sisters has had the same worries for her sisters, has tried to look out for them, been hurt by them, awed by them and loved them in the same way as these sisters have.
I hope you enjoyed The Painted Girls as much as I did! And if you haven't had a chance to read it yet I hope you will! Please make sure to share your thoughts on the book below!!

And now it's time to pick the next book! Have I mentioned how much I love doing this??
The next book in the Crochet By Megs book club is...... Dance Gladys Dance by Cassie Stocks


I hope you enjoy it!! We'll check back into the book club in 6 weeks to see what you thought of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment