Tuesday 7 January 2014

Crochet By Megs Book Club: Z: A Zelda Fitzgerald Story

Welcome back!! I hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday season and were able to put your feet up for part of it and enjoy a good book!!


Z is the story of Zelda Fitzgerald wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald writer of the Great Gatsby and many other books and stories. The book begins when Zelda is only a teenager and first meets Scott Fitzgerald. They fall passionately in love but she realizes he'll never finish his first book while he is thinking of her. She breaks his heart so that he can focus and there begins the ups and downs that will characterize their mad love story.
It is a fabulous story of excess and destruction, love and jealousy and the role a woman plays when she is married to a brilliant or obsessed man.  Whether she has a right to herself and her own career is considered quite questionable in the 1920s.  
I love books set in the 1920s! There is just something so charming about the setting, the excitement, jazz, prohibition, the stirrings of feminism!
This is the second book I've read set in the 20s about the wife of an author. The first was The Paris Wife by Paula McLain and I did like that one better. I felt it pulled me in more whereas I had to work a little to get into this one. But I still quite enjoyed it and it gave me quite a lot to think about!
If you read this book along with me I hope you enjoyed it! Share your thoughts in the comments below! If you didn't get a chance to pick this one up yet I'd highly recommend you do!
For our next book I have selected......


The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
Hope you get a chance to read along with me!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment