Tuesday 16 July 2013

Who Wouldn't Want to Learn a Different Language?

I have always loved the idea of being able to speak multiple languages but I really didn't think I'd be able to. The idea of learning a new language seemed very intimidating! Where would I even start?

Then I heard about a really cool (and free) site called Duolingo. This neat little site can help you learn a number of languages including: French, Spanish, Italian, German and Portuguese! It even has an app for your Iphone or Android phone so you can practice on the go!!

Check it out here.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Portugal and I thought how awesome would it be to learn a little Portuguese before we go? So I logged on to the site and I have been loving it!!!!! (Thank goodness our trip is in the distant future so I have lots of time to play and learn on duolingo!!)

It is so much fun and every time I complete a lesson I feel so accomplished!! (Just a heads up it can be really challenging when you first start but keep it up! You'll be surprised by how much you start to pick up!).

Now will this site allow you to speak a new language fluently? No probably not but I think it is a great place to start and it will allow me to speak a few phrases, read signs and menus! Which is pretty impressive!!

If you're heading out to a different country and would like to learn a little of the local language I'd highly recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. I started using Duolingo to learn some French before a trip to Paris and I loved it! Even though the trip has passed, I've decided to keep going with it. My goal is to one day be fluent in French and then go on to other languages as well. It's surprisingly fun and stimulating. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! It's so much fun to do!! I think after I finish with Portuguese I might try another language too!! :)

    ReplyDelete